YGY Radio Show Rewind: Prospect Discussion/James Shields
On this episode of the Yanks Go Yard Radio Show, brought to you by KNODA.com, I started off the show by talking about the New York Yankees releasing their list of 26 players that were invited to spring training as non-roster invitees. Two of the players on the list include some of the Yankees’ top prospects such as Luis Severino, Aaron Judge, and Gregory Bird.
My first guests on the show were Matt Kardos and Dan Pfeiffer, the founders of the blog called Rolling Thunder, to get their thoughts on the players that were invited to Tampa for Spring Training as well as some of the players that were snubbed from an invite. On the site, you will find Dan and Matt’s combined Top 15 Yankees’ prospects list. Here are some of the other topics that the three of us discussed:
- Dan and Matt’s observations of Severino and Judge
- Where does catcher Gary Sanchez stand in the Yankees’ minor league system?
- Is it fair to compare Sanchez to former Yankees’ catching prospect, Jesus Montero?
- Prospects to Watch In 2015: Jorge Mateo and Luis Torrens
- Matt’s bold take on where Torrens will stand in the Yankees’ system in 2015
- Thoughts on the Yankees’ pursuit of Cuban infielder Yoan Moncada
- Where would Moncada fit in the Yankees’ system
- Assessing the Yanks’ minor league depth at shortstop – Is Moncada worth the risk?
- Thoughts on the pitch clock coming to AA and AAA this season.
In the next segment, I spoke with Hunter Samuels, the co-editor of Kings of Kauffman, to get his take on James Shields being still on the free agent market with two weeks to go until Spring Training. What are the factors as to why Shields is still out there? Is it the qualifying offer attached to him, the lack of great big game performances, or the pitchers that will be on the free agent market next year? Hunter and I also discussed Shields’ impact on a young rotation, the possible fits for the 33-year old pitcher.
Finally, the topic was brought up about the Royals’ playoff chances with the latest injury news surrounding the Detroit Tigers. What is Hunter’s reaction to the news that Detroit designated hitter Victor Martinez is going to have surgery on the meniscus in his left knee. Could that cause the Tigers to get in on the race for Shields to help overcompensate for the injury?
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO THE YANKS GO YARD RADIO SHOW!!!
Next: Yankees 2015 ZiPS Projections
More from Yanks Go Yard
- Should Yankees toss short-term extension at Harrison Bader before 2023?
- Yankees chose worst possible player to ring in New Year on 2023 team calendar
- Yankees State of the Farm System Review: Josh Breaux
- Yankees make upside play, sign former Rangers top prospect outfielder
- MLB insider claims favorite emerging in Bryan Reynolds rumors (not Yankees)