Yanks Go Yard Radio Show: Yankees-Rockies Preview (6/14-6/15)
During last night’s episode of the Yanks Go Yard Radio Show, we previewed the Yankees-Rockies series at Coors Field
On last night’s episode , I started by talking about the New York Yankees (31-32) losing two out of three games to the Detroit Tigers over the weekend. Although C.C. Sabathia shut out the Tigers in the series opener, the Yankees offense managed only two runs in the final two games of the series against Justin Verlander and Michael Fulmer.
Over the weekend, the Yankees added a new first baseman after putting Chris Parmelee on the disabled list as they signed former Met Ike Davis to a Major League contract. Davis is not starting tonight because Rob Refsnyder is playing first base against a left-hander. Tonight, New York is in Coors Field to play a two-game mini series against the Colorado Rockies (30-33).
Even though the Rockies are three games under .500, they have won six of their last eight games and Walt Weiss’ team is doing better than most expected up to this point. Their offense is tied for third in the National League in runs scored, third in batting average, and fourth in home runs.
More from Yankees News
- Yankees chose worst possible player to ring in New Year on 2023 team calendar
- Yankees make upside play, sign former Rangers top prospect outfielder
- Michael Kay’s Anthony Volpe story will get Yankees fans amped for Opening Day
- No, Yankees should not acquire Trevor Bauer for 2023
- Yankees’ Marwin González replaces Red Sox LF in Japan in logical next step
The Rockies best player on offense is third baseman Nolan Arenado. The 25-year-old is hitting .289 with 19 home runs and 53 RBI’s (leads the league in home runs and RBI’s). They also have one of the better rookies in the league in shortstop Trevor Story (.261, 16 home runs, 42 RBI’s).
Story won the starting shortstop spot this spring as Jose Reyes as served a 51-game suspension for violating the domestic policy. Reyes is currently playing in triple-A and the team has until tomorrow to decide whether to cut him, trade him, or place him on the Major League roster.
One of the problems that have plagued the Rockies for years is finding successful starting pitching in a hitter friendly ballpark. Their starters have the worst ERA of any rotation in the NL (5.29). However, starting pitcher Tyler Chatwood has eight wins this season and has a 0.65 ERA in six road starts (5.10 at home).
Next: Sabathia's Resurgence May Be Key To Contention
To talk more about the Rockies, my guest was Kevin Henry, the editor of Rox Pile. Kevin gave his take on the Rockies season so far and what the team will do at closer now that Jake McGee is on the disabled list. Here are some of the other topics we discussed:
- What has stood out the most about Story’s season?
- If Kevin were the GM, what would he do with Reyes?
- Pitching Matchup Breakdown
- Nathan Eovaldi (Tonight’s Yankees starter) has given up ten runs in his last two starts
- Jorge De La Rosa (Tonight’s Rockies starter) makes his return to the rotation
- Ivan Nova (Tomorrow’s Yankees starter) has given up a home run in seven straight starts
- Chad Bettis (Tomorrow’s Rockies starter) has allowed 21 runs in his last four starts
- Yankees Players To Watch: Brett Gardner and Didi Gregorius
- Rockies Players To Watch: DJ LeMahieu and Charlie Blackmon
- Is Weiss off the hot seat?
- Where does he see Chatwood in the future Rockies’ rotation?