A couple of quick tidbits to start your day here. Both are good news and both involve key members of the Yankees starting rotation.
Pineda struck out 22 batters in 15 innings this past week and posted two wins with a 0.60 ERA. He is positioning himself nicely to be an All-Star this season. Pineda is among the league leaders in strikeouts and wins as well this season. It usually helps when you do something in a game that has only happened 22 times in a game since 1914. That’ll get you an honor.
Tanaka will throw a 30 pitch bullpen session for the first time since being injured today.
For all the good that Chase Whitley has done, having Tanaka and Pineda at the top of the rotation and healthy could put the Yankees over the top in the division when you add in their dominant bullpen. With Ivan Nova and Chris Capuano coming soon as well, look for the pitching to shoulder the load for the Yankees. And mustaches.
More from Yanks Go Yard
- Should Yankees toss short-term extension at Harrison Bader before 2023?
- Yankees chose worst possible player to ring in New Year on 2023 team calendar
- Yankees State of the Farm System Review: Josh Breaux
- Yankees make upside play, sign former Rangers top prospect outfielder
- MLB insider claims favorite emerging in Bryan Reynolds rumors (not Yankees)