YGY Radio Rewind: 2014 Yankees Year In Review
By Ricky Keeler
On this episode of the Yanks Go Yard Radio Show, brought to you by KNODA.com, I started off the show by talking about some of the latest moves that have happened with the New York Yankees since our last show back on December 23. The first move was Hiroki Kuroda leaving the New York Yankees to go back to Japan and play for the Hiroshima Carp on a one-year, $3.3 million deal. With Kuroda gone, the Yankees did trade for Nathan Eovaldi and sign Chris Capuano, but they will still miss the consistent production that Kuroda gave them each of the last three seasons.
The other two bits of news happened in the last couple of days. There was the trade that New York made that sent reliever Shawn Kelley to the San Diego Padres to a pitching prospect, Johnny Barbato, who had 16 saves in 18 chances last season for the Padres’ double-A affiliate. Plus, a veteran second base option came off the board as infielder Asdrubal Cabrera went to another AL East team, the Tampa Bay Rays on a one-year, $8 million deal. The question now remains as to whether or not the Rays will trade Ben Zobrist.
More from Yankees News
- Yankees chose worst possible player to ring in New Year on 2023 team calendar
- Yankees make upside play, sign former Rangers top prospect outfielder
- Michael Kay’s Anthony Volpe story will get Yankees fans amped for Opening Day
- No, Yankees should not acquire Trevor Bauer for 2023
- Yankees’ Marwin González replaces Red Sox LF in Japan in logical next step
For this episode, I was joined by Yanks Go Yard and Friars On Base co-editor Billy Brost to discuss those three news topics and a lot more involving the Hall Of Fame voting process and a look back at 2014 for the New York Yankees. Here are some of the topics that we touched on during the show:
- Was it surprising that Kuroda chose to go back to Japan?
- The interesting pitching combination that will be in Hiroshima with Kuroda and Kenta Maeda
- Was Kuroda under appreciated for his good home record and postseason performances?
- Did the Yankees get the better of the Shawn Kelley trade?
- Was Kelley a necessity for the 2015 Yankees?
- Would Asdrubal Cabrera have been a fit in the Bronx?
- How Billy and I went about our HOF Ballot for the IBWAA
- Where do we stand on the “Steroid Era” in terms of HOF induction
- Favorite non-Derek Jeter moments of 2014
- What are our 2015 Yankees’ New Year’s Resolutions?