You can never have enough catching depth. Catchers get banged up all the time, whether it’s a foul tip to the mask or blocking a ball in the dirt, they get dinged up here and there. Well, the Yankees traded Francisco Cervelli this off-season already, the Yankees could use a catcher or two to get some depth.
More from Yankees News
- Yankees announce corresponding move, make Carlos Rodón signing official
- Aaron Judge puts more pressure on Yankees after being named Captain
- Carlos Correa-Giants-Mets bombshell makes Aaron Judge’s return to Yankees even better
- Did Yankees troll Jon Heyman with Aaron Judge contract tweet?
- Matt Carpenter leaving Yankees for massive raise is hard to argue with
According to BA’s Matt Eddy, the Yankees signed catcher Juan Graterol to a minor league deal.
Graterol was in the Royals minor league system. The 25 year-old, between Double-A and Triple-A hit .278/.307/.387 with four homers and 30 RBI in 77 games. Graterol could help Gary Sanchez in Triple-A or Kyle Higashioka in Double-A to help tutor them and just give the Yankees some additional depth.
The Yankees have loaded up on minor league signings in the past and it netted them a guy like Yangervis Solarte last season, who they turned into Chase Headley. The point is, you never know what you can get.