Yankees Add Depth At Third With Minor League Signing
The Yankees are lacking depth at third base. Chase Headley is a free agent. Alex Rodriguez can’t do it everyday anymore. Zelous Wheeler was just sold to the Rakuten Golden Eagles in Japan.
More from Yankees News
- Yankees chose worst possible player to ring in New Year on 2023 team calendar
- Yankees make upside play, sign former Rangers top prospect outfielder
- Michael Kay’s Anthony Volpe story will get Yankees fans amped for Opening Day
- No, Yankees should not acquire Trevor Bauer for 2023
- Yankees’ Marwin González replaces Red Sox LF in Japan in logical next step
The Yankees helped their depth out by signing Jonathan Galvez to a minor league deal. Galvez is very much in the same vane as Zelous Wheeler and ex-Yankee Yangervis Solarte in that he can play multiple positions. Galvez has played each infield position as well as the outfield.
Galvez was in the San Diego Padres system and at AAA El Paso hit .280/.354/.449 with 10 homers 24 doubles and 52 RBI.
Does his signing mean anything? Well, did anyone thing Solarte would play as much as he did and that the Yankees could flip him to the Padres for Headley? Probably not.
The way the Yankees ran through players last year and the way many got injured, you just never know who may end up contributing to your team. If Galvez plays well and the Yankees need an extra infielder you never know.