The MLB award finalists are being announced and a Yankee is a finalist for an award. The Yankees certainly had two pitchers who could be up for an award, however, only one was selected. Dellin Betances is a nominee for AL Rookie Of The Year. He’s joined by Angels starter Matt Shoemaker and White Sox slugger Jose Abreu.
More from Yankees News
- Yankees chose worst possible player to ring in New Year on 2023 team calendar
- Yankees make upside play, sign former Rangers top prospect outfielder
- Michael Kay’s Anthony Volpe story will get Yankees fans amped for Opening Day
- No, Yankees should not acquire Trevor Bauer for 2023
- Yankees’ Marwin González replaces Red Sox LF in Japan in logical next step
Betances burst onto the scene and became an All-Star in his rookie year setting a Yankees reliever record with 135 strikeouts in just 90 innings. He went 5-0 with a 1.40 ERA and only gave up 46 hits in his 90 innings pitched.
He was seventh in K/9, fourth in FIP and first WAR among relievers in 2014.
Betances faces some pretty stiff competition.
Abreu hit .317 with 36 homers and 107 RBI and led the AL in slugging and OPS+.
Shoemaker went 16-4 with a 3.04 ERA and was a big part of the Angels winning the AL west this year.
The award will be announced next Monday night, November 10 on MLB Network.