MY EYES, MY EYES
I hate you Daily News, I hate you.
The paper had a sh*t-stirring article today about CC opting out and going to the Sox, and this was the image they used. Thanks for the nightmare fuel, Anthony McCarron!
Some scare tactics Ant used include:
- John Lackey’s injury as a reason Boston would go after CC.
- Out-of-context (I assume) quotes from Brian Cashman regarding the free agent period.
- Unnecessary mention of the Cliff Lee fiasco.
- Quotes — which negate the article’s main argument — from “one baseball official” saying CC isn’t going anywhere.
- Mention of how Ben Cherington (Boston’s new GM) could “make a splash” and endear himself to the fanbase by getting CC.
- Speaking of the Sox just trying to drive up the price for CC a la the Yanks and Carl Crawford last offseason.
- Talking about how the Sox pitchers were drinking beer and eating fried chicken during games. OK, I liked that part.
Here’s the kicker:
"Sure, it’s fanciful. But a clash of these AL East titans over a titan such as Sabathia sure is fun to consider, no?"
A) No, it is not fun to consider. It may be a useful way to sell newspapers but in no way, shape, or form is it fun.
B) Never begin a sentence with ‘but’.
I never thought I’d say this but the NY Post is the voice of reason here. George A. King writes that the Yanks want to make CC an offer before he opts out. It’s a much better read than the News’ piece.