When the New York Yankees signed Max Fried to a $218 million contract just months after they lost the World Series and needed to pivot following Juan Soto's departure, the move was met with mixed reviews.
Another ace?! That's kind of awesome. But $218 million? An eight-year contract for an injury-prone pitcher entering his age-31 season? How much more can we possibly age this roster and weigh down the payroll six years from now?
But everyone knew it was important to keep their eye on the prize. This team needed to rebound. Fried was going to be crucial in that regard. And his first year in pinstripes was a massive success. He was an All-Star after logging 4.6 WAR, a league-leading 19 wins, a 2.86 ERA, and a career-high 32 starts. Great year. Contract off to the best start possible. He saved the rotation after Gerrit Cole went down. What more could anybody have asked for?
Well, then came 2026. Fried never really looked the same. He was good for the first six weeks of the year, but something was off. He was laboring through starts like never before. And then on May 13 he went down with an elbow injury.
He expressed confidence he wouldn't be on the shelf long, but that was far from the case. The left-hander missed over nine weeks of action. He returned shortly after the All-Star break, made five starts, and landed right back on the injured list with more elbow issues. Right now, Yankees fans have no idea what to think.
Is Fried actually seriously injured and is his season in jeopardy? If that's the case, then Braves fans might've been right all along. They lived the Max Fried experience for more than seven years. Notice above how we said a "career-high 32 starts"? That's because Fried never made more than 30 as a Brave. Upon arriving in New York, he logged 32 starts and finished with 195 1/3 innings (also a career high).
As of Aug. 18, he's made just 15 starts (totaly 86 1/3 innings) in 2026, a time when the Yankees more than likely need him more than ever with the offense sputtering and Aaron Judge/Giancarlo Stanton missing most of the season. It's not Fried's fault, it just is what it is.
During his time in Atlanta, Fried frequented the injured list, sometimes suffering from multiple injuries in a single year. It didn't exactly become a point of contention, but it was beyond frustrating for Braves fans. Not to mention, Fried got shelled in his final three playoff starts with the team that resulted in three straight early exits. He suffered from multiple maladies in 2023 and 2024 that may have eventually contributed to those losses, too.
Are Yankees pulling a Dodgers with Max Fried injury maintenance?
If we want to try to remain optimistic, however, we could view this as a phantom IL stint of sorts. The Yankees are getting Carlos Rodón back on Tuesday, meaning they won't have to make a drastic decision with their pitching staff (pushing Will Warren to the bullpen and optioning a fresh arm in Yerry De Los Santos/Bradley Hanner to Triple-A). The rotation remains full, and it's the best in the league.
Perhaps the Yankees noticed Fried wasn't feeling right since coming off the IL and needed some more rest, determining that they needed to better manage his innings for October and limit wear and tear during the regular season. It's possible. We all saw what happened when he ran out of gas in Toronto last year.
The Dodgers seemingly do this with most of their starters every year to ensure peak performance in the playoffs, so it's not out of the question the Yankees are considering a similar approach when they have enough to get by right now. They can ride Warren and Ryan Weathers to the finish line. They can continue to utilize non-essential bullpen arms when the time is right to keep guys fresh.
Fried would've been great to have for the final six weeks of the season, but the Yankees have the bigger picture to focus on. That said, the injury history is not on his side, so it's hard for us to unequivocally buy into this theory, no matter how good it sounds.
