Yankees vs Guardians Weather Delay: ALDS Game 5 updates in the Bronx


UPDATE: Game 5 is postponed. It has been moved to 4:07 p.m. ET on Tuesday.


Can’t say Major League Baseball didn’t botch this entire ALDS series between the New York Yankees and Cleveland Guardians. First, the break between Games 1 and 2 paved the way for a rain delay in Game 2 on Thursday (which should’ve been played Wednesday).

Now, we’re stuck in a weather delay for Game 5. So now we’re either looking at a crammed series or a delayed one that sees both teams disadvantaged for the ALCS.

The worst part is nobody knows what’s going to happen. The game could be played tonight (Monday). The game could be played tomorrow night (Tuesday). It would be a disaster (for the Yankees) if this were rescheduled for Tuesday afternoon because New York is bad in playoff day games. Additionally, that would mean Cleveland ace Shane Bieber would be available to pitch (he isn’t tonight).

But right now, here’s all we got: league officials will meet with weather forecasters once more at 7:45 p.m. ET and see if they can arrive at a decision.

Oh, and here we are … here’s that update:

It’s already started raining in the Bronx, and it’s really not looking good for the rest of the night if we’re to believe the real-time radar.

Yankees Game Tonight: Weather updates for ALDS Game 5 vs Cleveland Guardians

If the Yankees’ plane did really get stuck in Cleveland, then there would be an advantage to this delay. But right now it’s just a hassle for everybody because nothing can be done. Just sitting and waiting.

Currently, the tarp is on the field. Guardians players were tossing around a football with fans in the Yankee Stadium crowd, but security made them stop.


The desire to get this game in because of the series already being interrupted by a rain delay and forcing the final four games to be played consecutively has perhaps clouded the judgement of those involved in making the call.

With the ALCS starting on Wednesday, both the Yankees and Guardians would be facing a huge impediment if the game were to be pushed to Tuesday because they would then have to travel to Houston that night before playing Game 1 the very next day. More help for Houston! Perfect.

In any normal circumstance, this game probably would’ve been called off hours ago. Everyone knew since this morning that the weather wouldn’t be promising and would threaten this win-or-go-home matchup.

Instead, we wait. It feels like it’ll either start at 9:30 p.m. ET or be played on Tuesday. No scenario is desirable.