Less than a week ago Diego Moreno made a pitching appearance for New York Yankees and was so impressive that one of our staff writers took to Yanks Go Yard to let everyone know that he should remain in the bigs with the New York Yankees bullpen. You can find that article (here).
In his next appearance on August 1st, the 28-year old reliever was roughed up, coughing up four earned runs on four hits in 3.0 innings pitched during the Yankees 8-2 loss to the Chicago White Sox.
Unfortunately for Diego Moreno, his rough outing wasnt a result of not having his best stuff because today the Yankees announced that Moreno was placed of the 15-day DL with inflammation is his pitching elbow.
The news was first reported by Bryan Hoch of MLB.com:
This is really tough news for Moreno, as he was finally starting to show that he had the tools to be an every-day reliever in the Major Leagues. Prior to getting called up to the Yankees bullpen, Moreno held a 2.18 ERA. He struck out 42 batters and had allowed just .2 home runs per 9 innings pitched through 53.2 innings in AAA.
We’ll have to wait and see how bad the damage is tomorrow when Moreno visits the Yankees medical staff, but you have to assume it isn’t looking good. Elbow inflammation is usually a sign of tommy john surgery.
The Yankees recalled Branden Pinder to take Moreno’s spot in the bullpen.
More from Yanks Go Yard
- Red Sox living in different financial ‘galaxy’ than Yankees Killer Rafael Devers
- Yankees slice surprising fan favorite off roster to make room for Tommy Kahnle
- Yankees announce corresponding move, make Carlos Rodón signing official
- Aaron Judge puts more pressure on Yankees after being named Captain
- Carlos Correa-Giants-Mets bombshell makes Aaron Judge’s return to Yankees even better