Yankees Begin Contract Negotiations With Chase Headley
After being acquired by the Yankees from the San Diego Padres mid-season and showing tremendous defensive ability at third base, while also swinging a solid bat, it looks as if Chase Headley may get a pay day from the Yankees.
According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Yankees are very interested in keeping the free agent in the Bronx and contract negotiations are already underway between the two parties.
More from Yankees Rumors
- Should Yankees toss short-term extension at Harrison Bader before 2023?
- MLB insider claims favorite emerging in Bryan Reynolds rumors (not Yankees)
- No, Yankees should not acquire Trevor Bauer for 2023
- Surprising stat could breed Yankees-Reds deal at 2023 trade deadline
- Is anybody going to sign Aroldis Chapman away from Yankees?
Headley has stated publicly that he enjoyed his time in the Bronx, but wants to be an everyday player. This latest development tells us that the Yankees are leaning towards Headley being their starting third baseman, with Alex Rodriguez most likely splitting time between designated hitter and first base.
Another option for the Yankees at third would be to sign star free agent Pablo Sandoval. However, with Sandoval likely going to cost over $100 million, Headley is the cheaper, more logical option for the position.
We’ll see where these negotiations go from here.