Yankees AFL Recap, October 17th: Glendale 6, Scottsdale 5
By Tim McFadden
In a rematch of last Friday’s Arizona Fall League action, the Glendale Desert Dogs defeated the Scottsdale Scorpions 6 to 5. In this one, Glendale took an early lead, while Scottsdale attempted to mount a comeback in the late innings. Of the eight Yankee minor leaguers on the roster, only Aaron Judge, Greg Bird and Alex Smith saw action in this one.
More from Yankees Minor Leagues
- Yankees State of the Farm System Review: Josh Breaux
- Early prices for Yankees 2022 Bowman Draft cards are absurd
- Reflecting on the 2013 New York Yankees’ top 10 prospects
- Yankees add to championship core with Wilmer Difo signing
- Yankees’ Jasson Dominguez ranks in tough spot on Arizona Fall League Top Prospects list
Bird was the designated hitter in this contest, smacking an RBI-single to center in the 9th inning. Right fielder Aaron Judge picked up a pair of singles and a walk. Alex Smith gave up three hits, including the game’s only home run, in his 2 1/3 innings of work. Judge and Bird are both hitting close to .400 in their AFL at-bats so far this season, and appear to have promising futures with the Yankees, while Smith has an ERA over 12.00 in 4 1/3 AFL innings. Friday’s work was his best so far in his four appearances.