YGY Radio Show Rewind: Alvaro Espinoza Interview/Chili Davis Discussion
By Ricky Keeler
On this episode of the Yanks Go Yard Radio Show, brought to you by KNODA.com, I started off the show by talking about the Yankees’ decision to fire hitting coach Kevin Long and first base coach Mick Kelleher as well as who are some of the options that are being rumored for the position. Plus, do the Yankees need a big-name hitting coach to be a successful offense? The other big topic in baseball of course is the World Series. We recorded this episode before the San Francisco Giants won Game 5 against the St. Louis Cardinals to clinch the National League pennant. However, I was able to talk about the Royals’ sweep of the Orioles as Kansas City showed that building a dominant bullpen can lead to success in October.
During the first part of this episode, I had the privilege to interview former Yankees’ shortstop, Alvaro Espinoza. Espinoza was the Bronx Bombers’ shortstop from 1988-1991 and was also on the 1995 Cleveland Indians, a team that made it all the way to the World Series. During this interview, I talked with Alvaro about:
- Does he see any similarities between the 2014 Kansas City Royals and the 1995 Cleveland Indians?
- What was it like for him to play with the Yankees and playing the same position as Derek Jeter?
- His memories of playing with Don Mattingly and what he saw in Donnie Baseball that would make him a good manager?
- His thoughts on the postseason so far
- Our discussion on how the Yankees need to integrate young talent into a veteran-laden roster
- What pace should the Yankees be bringing up their minor leaguers at?
Also, with Chili Davis being one of the coaches discussed for the hitting coach position, I spoke with Wes Mills, the host of Gold Talk Dynasty Radio, to get his thoughts on Davis’ tenure as the hitting coach in Oakland, why he isn’t being chosen as the bench coach after Chip Hale left to be the bench coach for the Diamondbacks, and is he a good fit for the Yankees’ hitting coach position?
Plus, Wes gave me his thoughts on the A’s second-half collapse, does it sting Oakland fans that they are watching Kansas City go to the World Series, how much blame should fall on GM Billy Beane, and what is Oakland’s number one priority this winter?