YGY Radio Show Rewind: Playoffs/Yankees Week In Review
By Ricky Keeler
On this episode of the Yanks Go Yard Series Preview Show, brought to you by KNODA.com, I started off the show by talking with Kyle Rogers, one of the co-founders of the KNODA website. Kyle is an avid Royals’ fan and was in attendance for the team’s 9-8, 12-inning win over the Oakland Athletics in Tuesday night’s American League Wild Card Game. The win took place during the first Royals’ playoff game since 1985. In addition to talking about Kyle’s experience and the origins of KNODA, we were able to discuss some of the moves manager Ned Yost made during the game, preview the team’s ALDS matchup with the Angels, and also talk about some of the popular postseason picks that are being made over at their website.
While the MLB Playoffs have reached the Division Series format, there is still Yankees’ news to be discussed. This week, manager Joe Girardi gave his end-of-the-season press conference to the media and co-owner Hal Steinbrenner gave an interview to ESPN Radio in New York on Wednesday, both addressing what went wrong in 2014 as the team missed the playoffs for the second season in a row. The team is also in the beginning of talks to try to bring Brian Cashman back as the general manager with his contract expiring on October 31.
For the Yankees’ portion of the episode, I spoke with former Yanks Go Yard editor and the founder of The Baseball Stance, Christopher Carelli. During this segment, Chris and I gave our impressions from the Girardi and Steinbrenner comments, talked about our World Series picks, and of course, the topic of Alex Rodriguez came up. Here are some of the topics that we talked about during the segment:
- Thoughts on the two Wild Card Games/Tigers-Orioles Game 1
- What we liked about Joe Girardi‘s Press Conference
- Should Jacoby Ellsbury and Brett Gardner be hitting 1-2 in the order in 2015?
- The timing of Girardi’s rant before Derek Jeter‘s final home game
- Why Hal Steinbrenner came off very well during his ESPN Radio Interview
- The emphasis on player development – could the Yankees have more youth on the team in 2015?
- Should the team have called up Jose Pirela sooner to play second base?
- Carlos Beltran‘s elbow surgery – Expectations for him in 2015 – do the Yankees need to bring in another outfielder?
- Should Brian Cashman be back as the Yankees’ General Manager?
- Should the Bronx Bombers have any expectations for Alex Rodriguez next year?
- Why fans should set the bar low on A-Rod in terms of his 2015 numbers, if he’s healthy