Yankees vs. Rangers 7:05 p.m.
Yu Darvish– 9-5 2.88ERA
David Phelps– 4-4 3.87 ERA
The Yankees are coming off an extra-inning win against a banged up Rangers’ team. Newly acquired third baseman, Chase Headley hit a walk-off single in the 15th. This game is very important because the Yankees must keep pace with the Mariners. The Mariners are playing the Mets, and this might be one of the few times where it is acceptable to root for the Amazins’.
The Yankees face one of the toughest pitchers in the league in Yu Darvish. The Bombers have struggled against Darvish in the past. He is 2-0 with a 1.35 ERA against the Yankees. Yankee hitters have only hit a very lackluster .211 against Darvish. Ichiro is the only Yankee to have real success against Darvish. He is 7-for-17 against the righty. David Phelps is on the mound for the Yankees. He has had a very impressive July. Phelps is 1-0 with a 2.33 ERA in three starts. Phelps has struggled against the Rangers. In two games Phelps is 1-0, but has a 6.14 ERA against the Rangers. This is not the robust Ranger lineup we normally see.
– A Yankee win tonight and a Mariners loss will put the Yankee 1/2 GB of the final wild card spot.
– Mark Teixeira is still unavailable due to a mild lat strain
– Kelly Johnson left Tuesday’s game with what appeared to be a groin injury. His went for a MRI and has been placed on the disabled list.
– Chase Headley will likely get his first career Yankee start at third base.
Jul 22, 2014; Bronx, NY, USA; New York Yankees center fielderJacoby Ellsbury
(22) hits an RBI single against the Texas Rangers during the thirteenth inning of a game at Yankee Stadium. The Yankees defeated the Rangers 2-1 in fourteen innings. Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports