Yankees News: Minor League Report – August 3, 2012
The New York Yankees minor league system is having a great year as a whole with their top three affiliates in at least a tie for first place. Let’s see how they and the rest of the squads on the farm fared since last week.
International League North (AAA) – Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees (61-50, T-1st place)
- The Triple-A club went 2-3 since the last report.
- SWB surrendered a season-high 21 hits in a 13-1 loss to Indianapolis last night.
- Melky Mesa was promoted from Double-A Trenton where he hit .277 with 60 R, 14 HR, 46 RBI and 17 SB in 88 games.
- Ramiro Pena was designated for assignment.
- Dewayne Wise was released after not accepting an assignment to SWB.
Eastern League Eastern (AA) – Trenton Thunder, (67-44, 1st place)
- The Thunder had an excellent week, going 7-1 and increasing their lead in the Eastern division to eight games.
- Jose Pirela has four extra-inning walk-offs this season.
- Graham Stoneburner picked up two wins in relief this past week.
Florida State League (Advanced A) – Tampa Yankees (First Half: 30-36, 12 GB; Second Half: 25-16, 1st place)
- The team went 4-3 since the last report.
- Zachary Nuding (5-2, 3.67 ERA) returned from the DL and earned a win.
- Tyler Austin went 4-for-5 on Tuesday with two runs and three RBI. He is hitting .316 since his promotion to Tampa.
- Mason Williams underwent season-ending surgery on his non-throwing (left) shoulder today. He should be ready for spring training.
South Atlantic League Southern (A) – Charleston RiverDogs (First Half: 39-28, 3rd place 6.5 GB; Second Half: 18-23, last place)
- The RiverDogs hit a bad patch losing six out of seven over the past week.
- Relief pitcher Pedro Guerra is 4-1 with a 1.76 ERA and is holding opposing batters to a .179 batting average. He has 53 strikeouts in 51 innings.
New York/Penn League (Class A Short Season) – Staten Island Yankees (15-28, last place, 13.5 GB)
- The SI Yanks are having a rough go this season after winning the league last year. They dropped all six games last week.
- 2012 Fourth-round pick Corey Black has yet to win in five starts, but has a 2.49 ERA.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie) – Gulf Coast Yankees (25-15, 2nd place, 1.5 GB)
- The Baby Bombers gained two games in the standings by going 4-2 since the last report.
- First-round draft pick Ty Hensley was knocked around in his first minor league appearance, allowing three runs on four hits, including a home run in two innings. He walked two and struck out one.
For a daily recap of the top performances around minor league baseball check out The Prospect Pulse on Seedlings to Stars. Also this week on Seedlings to Stars, FanSided.com Senior Director Wally Fish updated his Fish Watch series for the Yankees.