Game 100: total domination, fuggetabout
In one of the most boring games of the season the Yanks scalped the Injuns 8-0 behind a stellar outing from AJ (9-8), who went 6 1/3 innings and gave up seven hits with seven strikeouts to three walks to take the win. Burnett, who was 0-4 with a 9.00 ERA in four career starts at Progressive Field coming in, has now thrown 11 1/3 scoreless innings since his Kevin Brown incident. His July ERA is now 2.00…and that includes the Rays debacle.
The game, which saw a 42-minute rain delay, was the Yanks’ ninth shutout of the season, good for the most in the AL. NYY had 10 hits and seven runs in 2 2/3 innings Wednesday, which was more than they mustered in the first two games of the series COMBINED (nine hits and four runs).
A-Rod didn’t hit home run number 600 but he did go 2-for-5 with an RBI and his 471st career double (which was Rickey Hendersonesque), which ties him with Larry Walker for 74th place on the all-time list. He also recorded RBI number 1,788. Purple Lips is 8-for-26 with five RBI and three doubles since hitting home run 599. He was averaging a homer every 22.3 at-bats entering play Wednesday.
Joba retired the final two batters in the seventh inning, but not before balking and giving up two long fly outs to right field. Mitre then tossed the final two innings to finish off the goose egg.
- Cano went 2-for-5 with a double and career home run number 106.
- Gardner went 2-for-4 with two RBI and scored twice.
- Every starter had at least one hit except for Jeter.
- Every starter drove in a run or scored a run except for Jeter and Posada.
- In 10 career games against the Yanks (seven starts), Carmona owns a 6.53 ERA with a .325 BAA in 40 IP.
- Dustin Moseley, Thursday’s starter, is 3-0 against Cleveland in five games (three starts).
- Tex over his last 15 games: .386 (22-for-57) with 11 extra-base hits (five home runs), 15 RBI and eight multi-hit games.
- Grandy over his last eight games: .393 (11-for-28) with five extra-base hits (three homers), five RBI, nine runs and has hit safely in seven of those eight.