For this episode of the Yanks Go Yard Radio Show, brought to you by Knoda.com, I hosted a special one-hour live Trade Deadline Special. The show went from 3-4 PM ET, about the time when the non-waiver trade deadline was over. During the show, we were privileged to be joined by two guests: One of those guests was Shane Miller, the Vice President of the Outside Pitch Sports Network. The other guest was Mark Polishuk, one of the writers at MLB Trade Rumors. We ended the last few minutes by Yanks Go Yard co-editor Billy Brost and myself giving our initial thoughts on the David Price trade.
The New York Yankees made two moves on Trade Deadline Day, one of which was made after our show was completed (Martin Prado for Peter O’Brien). During the end of the show, and our conversation with Mark, the Yankees made the trade for Stephen Drew that sent Kelly Johnson to the Boston Red Sox. For Drew, he now becomes the new second baseman as Brian Roberts has been designated for assignment. As for Prado, he is a versatile player that is locked up through 2016, and has improved his batting average this year every month, including hitting .281 in the month of July. Even though the Yankees did not make a splash move at the deadline, they were still able to make the lineup marginally better, to say the least.
There were other big moves made on Thursday, included Jon Lester going to the Oakland Athletics for Yoenis Cespedes and the Detroit Tigers acquiring David Price in a three-team trade that sent Nick Franklin and Drew Smyly to the Tampa Bay Rays and Austin Jackson to the Seattle Mariners. Here are some of the other topics that I discussed on the show with both of our guests:
- My thoughts on the Yankees’ trades before the deadline (Brandon McCarthy, Chase Headley, and Chris Capuano)
- Should the New York Yankees have been sellers at the Trade Deadline?
- Why the Jon Lester trade could benefit the Yankees in 2015
- Yoenis Cespedes will face the Yankees nine more times the rest of the season
- How much did the Red Sox improve in 2015 after trading Lester to Oakland and John Lackey to the St. Louis Cardinals?
- My thoughts on the Yankees picking up Esmil Rogers off of waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays
- Why Shane wouldn’t have been surprised if Andrew Miller (traded to the Orioles) was dealt to the Yankees
- Yankees’ interest in Marlon Byrd and Josh Willingham: Who would have been the better fit?
- Should New York have gone after a bullpen arm to help Dellin Betances and Adam Warren?