Through a surprising letter that was posted via Facebook, Yankees’ shortstop and captain, Derek Jeter, announced that he will be retiring after the 2014 season. The past 24-48 hours have allowed fans to take a step back and reminisce about their favorite Jeter moments and what his legacy in pinstripes is. That being said, the Jeter announcement has, for the right reasons, overshadowed that pitchers and catchers officially report to Steinbrenner Field in Tampa, Florida. It begins a new year with some new faces, but a team that should be an improvement from a season ago.
On this episode of the Yanks Go Yard Radio Show, our insider Gavin Ewbank and staff writer Jacob Winters joined me to discuss Derek Jeter as well as our top five story-lines that we are keeping an eye on during Spring Training. Whether its Jeter, Michael Pineda, Masahiro Tanaka, there are plenty of topics of interest to watch in Tampa. Here is what we talked about on the show, which you can listen to by clicking on the link at the bottom of the page:
- Reaction to Jeter’s retirement
- Our favorite Jeter moments
- Tanaka’s bullpen session
- Who to watch as the backup catcher?
- Insurance policies for Mark Teixeira?
- Spring Training surprises
- Battle for the 5th starter spot
- Rounding out the bullpen
- Yankee Yell (Spring Training, potential shortstop in 2015, Yankees’ games in Panama)