While the New York Yankees had some time off this past week due to the Major League Baseball All-Star Game and surrounding activities, plenty of games were played at the farm level over the last week. Let’s see how the minor league squads fared.
International League North (AAA) – Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees (50-43), 3rd Place, 2.5 GB
- The Triple-A Yankees went 3-2 since last week’s report and picked up two games in the standings.
- The team is looking to change their name and want help from the fans. Here is a link to the contest rules.
- David Phelps is back with SWB and will start tomorrow’s game.
- Juan Cedeno, the lone SWB member of the International League All-Stars worked one inning of scoreless relief with one strikeout in the game versus the Pacific Coast League on Wednesday. The PCL beat the IL, 3-0.
Eastern League Eastern (AA) – Trenton Thunder, (52-38), T-1st place
- The Thunder won three out of four in the past week.
- David Adams had five hits and three RBI in Trenton’s win over New Britain last night.
- Dellin Betances is 1-1 with a 2.41 ERA in 18 2/3 innings (3 starts) since his demotion from SWB.
Florida State League (Advanced A) – Tampa Yankees (First Half: 30-36, 12 GB; Second Half: 12-8, 1st place)
- Moved into first place after 4-2 week.
- Jose Ramirez and Branden Pinder tossed a combined no-hitter last night in a 1-0 victory over the St. Lucie Mets.
- Tyler Austin was the scratched from the All-Star Futures Game because he was still recovering after being hit in the head in his first game with Tampa after being called up.
South Atlantic League Southern (A) – Charleston RiverDogs (First Half: 39-28, 3rd place 6.5 GB; Second Half: 13-8, 2nd place, 0.5 GB)
- The RiverDogs picked up 1.5 games in the standings with a 4-3 record since last week’s report.
- John Brebbia won the SAL Pitcher of the Week honors for the week of July 2-8. He went 2-0 with 9 strikeouts in six innings.
- Brett Gerritse has allowed only one earned run in his last three starts (14 2/3 IP).
New York/Penn League (Class A Short Season) – Staten Island Yankees (9-15, last place, 6 GB)
- 3-3 since last week, but picked up a game in the standings.
- Saxon Butler continues to impress; .355, 6 HR, 18 RBI and 1.175 OPS in 85 plate appearances.
- Catcher Peter O’Brien, the Yankees third selection in the 2012 draft (second round), was moved from the GCL Yankees to Staten Island this week.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie) – Gulf Coast Yankees (15-7, 2nd place, 1 GB)
- Lost control of first place after going 2-4 since the last report.
- Jordan Cote is 2-1 with a 1.19 ERA in 22 1/3 innings pitched. He also has 21 strikeouts.
Dominican Summer League BC South (Rookie) – DSL Yankees 1 (25-10), 1st place
- 5-1 in last week; first-place lead sits at four games.
Dominican Summer League BC North (Rookie) – DSL Yankees 2 (9-26), last place, 14 GB
- The team continues to slide; going 1-5 since last week.
For a daily recap of the top performances around minor league baseball check out The Prospect Pulse on Seedlings to Stars.
Tags: Branden Pinder Brenden Pinder Brett Gerritse Charleston RiverDogs David Adams David Phelps Dellin Betances DSL Yankees 1 DSL Yankees 2 Gulf Coast Yankees John Brebbia Jose Ramirez Juan Cedeno Peter O'Brien Saxon Butler Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Staten Island Yankees Tampa Yankees Trenton Thunder Tyler Austin