Tonight, the New York Yankees (15-13) will begin their three game series with the 19-10 Tampa Bay Rays. In the opening series of the season, Tampa flat out outpitched, outmanaged, and outhit the Bronx Bombers. Now, the Yankees will look for revenge especially after finding their bats on Sunday against the Royals.
The one thing I can say about the Yankees in a positive light is this: Ever since that Opening Day debacle, New York has found a way to do its best against potential playoff teams like the Tigers and even sweeping the Orioles at Camden Yards. New York should get Brett Gardner back for this series either tomorrow or Thursday which should strengthen their outfield.
As for the pitching matchups, the games tonight and Thursday will feel like playoff caliber games. However, the main question on my mind as I recorded my podcast was can the Yankees’ hitter shake off the shift by the Rays’ defense or is it psychologically in their heads?
Here is what I discuss on the podcast:
- Yankees-Royals recap
- Mariano Rivera reaction
- Pitching Matchups
- Shields and his strikeout prowess
- My one main concern with Ivan Nova
- Niemann’s Yankee Success
- Look for progression, not dominance from Phelps
- Price’s road to maybe another AL Cy Young
- Sabathia is back to the old CC
- Tampa’s consistent closer
- Can they win without Longoria?
- The Yankee Killer: Carlos Pena
- A Thank You to the Old Editor and A Welcome To The New!
As always, feel free to send in your questions/comments about the podcast and Thursday night, we will be breaking down the Seattle Mariners’ series and give reaction to the potential return of Andy Pettitte this weekend! Enjoy the Show!