I apologize for the lack of posts here at YanksGoYard over the past couple of days, but I’ve been busy with some family stuff. To the few of you who actually read this site and care, I’ll try not to slack off again. Again, my sincerest apologies…now on to the Yanks:
Coming off a disappointing seven-game road trip (3-4), the Yanks head home for a pivotal seven-game homestand featuring three against the Twinkies, two against the Red Cox and two against the Rays. The Bombers are two games behind the Rays for the lead in the AL East and desperately need some wins, having lost four of their last five.
My prediction is that the Yanks will finish 4-3 after taking two of three from the Twins (who come in with an identical 22-12 record as the Yanks) and splitting the other two series. I’d consider 4-3 a victory given the injury bug floating around the Bronx right now.
Anyway, here are the pitching match-ups for the weekend set:
- Friday: AJ vs. Scott Baker
- Saturday (I’ll be at this game!!!!): Pettitte vs. Francisco Liriano
- Sunday: TBA vs. Nick Blackburn
Hopefully AJ can bounce back from that atrocious performance at Fenway. He should have his hands full with a Twins team that is second (behind the Yanks!!!) in all of MLB in OBP and first in batting average…Pettitte will take the mound for the first time since May 5th. He claims his left elbow is fine, and I hope he’s right. The Yanks need him to have a great outing after some of the clunkers over the past few games…I hope this TBA guy is good, J/K. Thanks to Wednesday’s doubleheader it is unclear who will take the mound in the finale but all signs point to Sergio Mitre, unless he is needed out of the bullpen on Friday or Saturday.
Finally, when you think things have hit rock bottom for the Bombers (being shutout two times in the span of three games, albeit the only two goose eggs all season), just remember at least they didn’t lose on a walk-off wild pitch like some other NY team. Same old Mets. Speaking of which, they will host the Yanks for three games starting next Friday.
In other news:
- Grandy could begin running exercises this weekend, but it is still unclear when he’ll be activated from the DL. He hasn’t played since May 1 and the lineup has missed him dearly.
- CHoP, out since April 16 with a case of the trots right hamstring strain, could be activated as early as Sunday. He’d be welcomed back to a bullpen that has seen some serious bed shits (no pun intended) since his absence.
- Swish Dog, who felt a “tug” in his left biceps during the seventh inning of Wednesday’s game and didn’t play Thursday, expects to be back in the lineup for Friday’s tilt against the Twins.
- Jeter was hit in the left pinkie by Verlander on Thursday but says he’s OK, and also could play on Friday. However, he finished the road trip at 3-for-29 and is hitting .269/.314/.407 on the year, so maybe he could use a day off.
C’mon Yanks, get back on track against the Twins. You guys have owned them recently, going 10-0 and outscoring them 56-31 since the start of the 2009 campaign. LET’S GO YANKS!!!