On this episode of the Yanks Go Yard Series Preview Show (recorded Thursday night), I talked about the New York Yankees winning the series finale against the Oakland Athletics to avoid being swept at home. It wasn’t a great start for Masahiro Tanaka, but he continued his winning ways by picking up his ninth victory of the season, giving up one run over six innings. The Bronx Bombers also saw the return of Carlos Beltran to the lineup at the designated hitter spot.
Off the field, it has been a very eventful week for the organization. On Wednesday night, we all received the sad news of the death of former Yankees’ bench coach Don Zimmer. Zimmer was a man whose life involved baseball in many different facets and he touched many lives throughout the sport. Yanks Go Yard continues to send our thoughts and prayers to the Zimmer family.
On Thursday night, the Yankees made their first draft selection by selecting Jacob Lindgren, a left-handed pitcher out of Mississippi State with the 55th overall selection. Now, the New York Yankees (30-29) get set to begin a ten-game road trip, beginning with four games in Kansas City against the Royals, who despite their record of 29-31, remain just four games of the Tigers in the AL Central.
The main issue for the Royals has been the inability to hit the long ball. The team’s total of 26 home runs is dead last in all of baseball, with outfielder Alex Gordon leading the way with six. Gordon is also the team leader in batting average, hits, RBI’s, runs, on-base percentage, and OPS. Ned Yost‘s squad has also had some disappointments on offense, mainly first baseman Eric Hosmer (one home run) and third baseman Mike Moustakas (.148 batting average). Despite the offensive struggle, the starting pitching has at least been able to keep them in the race. The rotation is led by James Shields (Sunday’s starter). Shields has struggled in his last three starts and has trade rumors floated out there about him with the possibility that he could leave via free agency after this season.
For this episode, I was joined by Dave Hill, a co-editor for Kings of Kauffman, the Royals’ site here at Fansided. We talked about the Royals’ offensive woes, the Shields trade rumors, and much more. Here are the topics we discussed on the show:
- What’s behind the struggles of Hosmer and Moustakas?
- What has stood out the most to Dave about starting pitcher Yordano Ventura?
- Will the Royals see pitching prospect Kyle Zimmer in the majors this year?
- Pitching Matchup Breakdown
- Jeremy Guthrie the victim of some bad offense lately in KC
- Will Chase Whitley go past five innings for the Yankees on Thursday?
- Danny Duffy showing great signs for Kansas City
- David Phelps‘ problems with walks in his last five starts
- Hiroki Kuroda vs. James Shields on Sunday afternoon
- Jason Vargas (Monday’s starter) proving to be good signing by the Royals in the offseason
- Vidal Nuno looking to bounce back on Monday.
- Royals’ Players To Watch (Dave: Wade Davis and Alcides Escobar)
- Yankees’ Players To Watch (Carlos Beltran and Dellin Betances
- Greg Holland with the most saves in the American League