On this episode of the Yanks Go Yard Show, I started by talking about the New York Yankees (28-24) taking two out of three games from the St. Louis Cardinals in Busch Stadium. By winning the series, New York was able to finish 5-4 on their nine-game road trip. On Thursday, the Bronx Bombers found out that first baseman Mark Teixeira has inflammation in his right wrist and will be day-to-day. Plus, outfielder Carlos Beltran is trying to get back and taking soft toss at Yankee Stadium with hitting coach Kevin Long, per the team’s official site. New York is 2.5 games back of the AL East-leading Blue Jays as they head home for a seven-game stretch that starts with a team New York has had the upper hand on for years.
The Minnesota Twins (24-27) have hit a skid of late, losing six of their last seven games. However, Ron Gardenhire‘s squad is off to one of their best starts in the last few seasons. The Twins have two former Yankees’ heading back to the Bronx this weekend in pitcher Phil Hughes (Sunday’s starter) and shortstop-turned-left fielder Eduardo Nunez. Hughes has been one of the surprises for the Twins as he has excelled at Target Field with a 5-1 record and a 3.23 ERA. The star on offense for Minnesota is second baseman Brian Dozier. Dozier leads the team in homers (11), runs scored (43) and a .OPS of .789. With the AL Central a toss-up for second place, Minnesota is hoping for their pitching other than Hughes to step up and to get first baseman Joe Mauer going offensively (.275, two homers, 15 RBI).
- What’s behind Minnesota losing six of their last seven? Optimism or skepticism in the Twin Cities?
- Ricky Nolasco‘s disastrous start to his Twins’ career (Friday’s starter)
- None of the Yankees’ starters have ever faced the Twins’ hitters
- Vidal Nuno (Friday’s starter) and Chase Whitley (Sunday’s starter) expanding their pitch count in games
- Masahiro Tanaka‘s (Saturday’s starter) continued success in the Bronx
- Phil Hughes not allowing a walk since late April
- Hitters To Watch (Twins: Eduardo Escobar and Oswaldo Arcia)
- Hitters To Watch (Yankees: Yangervis Solarte and Brian Roberts)
- How is Joe Mauer handling his new full-time role at first base?
- Eduardo Nunez adjusting to his new position
- Minnesota the second best team in AL Central?
- Yankees’ interest in Kendrys Morales?