On this episode of the Yanks Go Yard Series Preview Show, I started off by discussing the New York Yankees’ (16-14) recent mediocre home stand. The team went 3-5 over the eight game stretch, including losing two of three over the weekend to the Tampa Bay Rays. It did not help that on Sunday, C.C. Sabathia couldn’t even get out of the 4th inning in his outing. Now, the Yankees get set to go out west to take on a team they played nine days ago in the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (15-15).
To preview the Angels’ series, I was joined by Jose Serrano, the editor of Halo Hangout. Since the Angels lost two out of three to the Yankees, they have been playing better baseball this past week, but they lost two out of three to the Texas Rangers over the weekend to get back to .500.
Of course, when you talk Los Angeles, you have to discuss Mike Trout. Trout is hitting .300 on the season with six home runs and 19 RBI. He had four hits, including a home run, in his last series against New York. Two of the pitching match-ups are repeats of the last series at Yankee Stadium. They are Hiroki Kuroda vs. C.J. Wilson on Tuesday and Vidal Nuno vs. Hector Santiago on Wednesday
With that being said, here are the topics Jose and I discussed on the show:
- Yankees’ disappointing series loss to the Tampa Bay Rays
- Angels not fazed when they take on the Yankees?
- David Freese on the disabled list – any second guesses of the Freese-Peter Bourjos trade?
- Previewing the Pitching Match-ups
- Jered Weaver (Monday’s starter for the Angels) having velocity issues
- David Phelps‘ (Monday’s starter for the Yankees) audition for a future rotation spot
- Kuroda becoming a big concern for the Yankees
- C.J. Wilson keeping teams off the board his last five starts
- Nuno not being able to get through five innings
- Players To Watch (Howie Kendrick and C.J. Cron)
- Angels’ ability to compete against A’s and Rangers
- My thoughts on Jacoby Ellsbury‘s hot stretch and Derek Jeter‘s slump.