On this episode of the Yanks Go Yard Series Preview Show, we breakdown the New York Yankees’ (15-9) upcoming series against the Seattle Mariners (10-14) at Yankee Stadium. For the Mariners, they have dealt with numerous injuries to their starting rotation with the losses of Hisashi Iwakuma and Taijuan Walker. That being said, the Mariners remain just five games back of the Oakland Athletics in the AL West. Of course, you have to talk about Robinson Cano and his .301 batting average as he returns to Yankee Stadium for the first time as an opponent. Will the Yankees’ fans boo or cheer him in his opening at-bat? We will definitely find out.
Dan Hughes of Sodo Mojo joined me on this show to give his take on Cano and other off-season additions, such as closer Fernando Rodney. Dan and I also talked about the trade still being discussed between Michael Pineda and Jesus Montero a few seasons ago. Here are some of the topics Dan and I touched on during the show:
- Cano’s lack of home runs so far – How is his leadership rubbing off on younger teammates?
- Seattle rotation withstanding key injuries
- Recent success of third baseman Kyle Seager (5 home runs in his last 4 games)
- Chris Young‘s return back to the majors
- C.C. Sabathia‘s history of great success against the Mariners
- David Phelps‘ latest audition for the rotation
- Felix Hernandez one of the league leaders in strikeouts (vs. Hiroki Kuroda Thursday)
- Players To Watch: (Mark Teixeira, Dustin Ackley, Justin Smoak)
- Fernando Rodney with 5 saves in 6 chances
- Re-visiting the Pineda-Montero Trade