For the second time this season, we continued our post game shows after the Yankees’ Sunday night ESPN telecasts. This week, we focused on the Los Angeles Angels’ series. The New York Yankees (15-10) were able to take two of three from the Halos despite losing the opener 13-1. The win on Sunday night for the Yankees was their 10th win in the last 14 games. Sunday night saw the first struggles for Masahiro Tanaka in terms of command of his fastball, but he still registered 11 strikeouts and held the Angels to two runs. He would get the no-decision as Mark Teixeira hit a solo home run to right field in the 7th to tie the game. Then, in the bottom of the 8th, Jacoby Ellsbury scored on a wild pitch to give the Yankees the lead and ultimately the win.
On this episode of the Yanks Go Yard Series Preview Show, I was joined by fellow Yanks Go Writer Joe Vitulli to take a look back at the three games between the Yankees and the Angels. Here are the list of topics that we discussed:
- Impressions of Tanaka for both Sunday night and his first month in the majors
- Mark Teixeira’s two homers in the last four games – Is it finally coming together for Tex?
- Is it time for major concern about Hiroki Kuroda?
- Who should be the Yankees’ 5th starter – Vidal Nuno or David Phelps?
- Yankees’ bullpen the strength of the team?
- Michael Pineda suspension causing ripple effect on roster
- Return of Robinson Cano to the Bronx
- Thoughts on the AL East almost one month into the season