On this episode of the Yanks Go Yard Series Preview Show, we took a look back at the New York Yankees’ (9-6) sweep of the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday. Yankees’ fans got a good treat at the Stadium with Masahiro Tanaka and Michael Pineda throwing shutouts on the same day and continuing their hot starts in 2014. While the Yankees couldn’t generate much offense, Carlos Beltran ended his home stand with his fourth home run of the season.
Plus, Drew Jenkins of Rays Colored Glasses joined me to talk about the Tampa Bay Rays (7-8) and their struggles to start the season. For one, Joe Maddon‘s team has dealt with injuries to their pitching staff. Matt Moore is out for the rest of the season as he will be undergoing Tommy John surgery. Also, Alex Cobb is on the disabled list due to an oblique injury. As for the offense, Tampa Bay is towards the bottom of the Major Leagues in runs (26th) and batting average (28th). Ben Zobrist and Matt Joyce are off to great starts, but Tampa Bay is looking for Evan Longoria and Wil Myers to hit more than the one home run they have combined this season.
Here are the topics we discussed on the show:
- Yankees’ sweep of the Chicago Cubs
- Rehab updates for Mark Teixeira and David Robertson
- Matt Moore and Alex Cobb out – panic in Tampa Bay?
- Reasons for the offensive slump (2 runs per game over the last nine)
- Stat that gives David Price the edge over C.C. Sabathia on Thursday
- Hiroki Kuroda‘s struggles at Tropicana Field
- Ivan Nova vs. Chris Archer on Saturday
- Rays’ Players To Watch (Myers and Zobrist)
- Carlos Beltran red hot at the plate!
Find Yankees tickets at Vivid Seats!