With full squad workouts now under way in Tampa, Florida, All eyes were on Derek Jeter as he gave his retirement news conference. However, the rest of the 2014 New York Yankees still have many intriguing story-lines as well. This week, Brian Roberts was officially named the starting second baseman for opening day (barring injury) and it seems, according to some reports, that the Yankees are done signing any big time free agents this spring. There was also other news around the rest of the division. Ubaldo Jimenez became the newest member of the Baltimore Orioles by signing a four-year contract.
On this episode of the Yanks Go Yard Radio Show, I was joined by staff writers Rich Arleo and Jacob Winters to talk about Roberts, Jimenez, CC Sabathia, and much more as the Yankees get set to begin exhibition games on Tuesday against the Florida State Seminoles. We might even see some of the Yankee minor leaguers go up against Jameis Winston in that game. Here are the topics we talked about on the show:
- Manny Banuelos‘ role in 2014: Starter or Reliever?
- CC Sabathia – Expectations for 2014
- Should the Yankees sign any more big free agents? (Stephen Drew, Ervin Santana)
- How many games will Brian Roberts play in 2014?
- Reaction to Jimenez signing with the Orioles
- Yankee Yell (Aledmys Diaz, Alfonso Soriano, and Robinson Cano vs. Kevin Long)