A New York Yankees memory list could never be complete without including the great Mariano Rivera. But of all of Rivera´s great moments, which ones do you think are going to make the list?
Well, how about his entire final season! It was such a glorious year for Rivera that he really deserves his own top ten list. So let´s sit back, take a stroll down memory lane, and enjoy some of the highlights once again.
1. The Cleveland Indians presented Rivera with gold record of Ënter Sandman.¨
2. Rivera entered the All Star game to a standing ovation from everyone in the stadium with the field all to himself.
3. He became the only player in MLB history to win the MVP in a League Championship Series, World Series, and an All Star Game.
4. He finished as the all-time saves leader with 652.
5. He won the American League Comeback Player of The Year Award.
6. Manager Joe Girardi sent Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte to the mound to remove him from the game in his final appearance. The man who was always in complete control through out his career, let his emotions out.
7. In a class move, Rivera apologized to the Houston Astros fans for electing not to pitch in the final series of the season. This preserved his final Yankee Stadium appearance as his last.
8. Rivera´s jersey number 42 was retired and entered in Yankee Stadium´s Monument Park on Mariano Rivera Day. Jackie Robinson´s family was in attendance.
9. He won the Commissioner´s Historic Achievement Award.
10. A street near Yankee Stadium is set to be renamed Rivera Avenue. Next stop, the National Baseball Hall of Fame.