The New York Yankees sputtered during a 2-5 road trip and now lead the Baltimore Orioles by 7.5 games in the American League East. The top three levels in the Yankees minor league system are also in first place at the moment. Let’s see how they and the rest of the squads on the farm fared since last week.
International League North (AAA) – Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees (59-47, 1st place)
- Posted a 5-2 record during the last week moving them into first place.
- D.J. Mitchell was traded to the Seattle Mariners as part of the Ichiro Suzuki deal.
- Cory Wade has yet to allow an earned run in 11 innings since he was demoted.
- Eduardo Nunez is back with the Triple-A club rehabbing, and could eventually make it back to the big club due to the injury to Alex Rodriguez.
Eastern League Eastern (AA) – Trenton Thunder, (60-43, 1st place)
- Went 2-4, yet extended their lead to 2.5 games.
- Trenton overcame a 9-0 deficit on 7/22 and won the game, 13-12 with a walk-off HR by Jose Pirela.
- Unfortunately, Dellin Betances was on the mound for Trenton during that game and allowed seven of the runs in three innings.
Florida State League (Advanced A) – Tampa Yankees (First Half: 30-36, 12 GB; Second Half: 21-13, 1st place)
- Won 4 out of 7 since last report.
- Joba Chamberlain pitched in back-to-back games for the first time during his rehab process. He tossed a two scoreless innings while allowing one hit.
- Matt Tracy and Nik Turley tossed complete game at both ends of a double-header on 7/23.
South Atlantic League Southern (A) – Charleston RiverDogs (First Half: 39-28, 3rd place 6.5 GB; Second Half: 17-17, T-3rd place)
- Suffered a 2-5 week, including four straight losses.
- Ben Gamel, brother of Milwaukee Brewers’ Mat Gamel, is red-hot; .366/.400/.439 with 8 R and 6 RBI in last 10 games.
- RiverDogs manager Carlos Mendoza has been selected to manage the Scottsdale Scorpions in the Arizona Fall League.
New York/Penn League (Class A Short Season) – Staten Island Yankees (15-22, 4th place, 8 GB)
- Played .500 ball since last week (3-3).
- Saxon Butler leads the team and the NY Penn League with 10 home runs and 36 RBI.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie) – Gulf Coast Yankees (21-13, 2nd place, 3.5 GB)
- Fell out of first-place for the second-half after winning only 2 out of 6.
- Second-round pick Austin Aune has turned things around the last 10 games; .406/.500/.594 with 4 R, 4 doubles, 6 RBI and 4 SB.
For a daily recap of the top performances around minor league baseball check out The Prospect Pulse on Seedlings to Stars.
Topics: Alex Rodriguez, Austin Aune, Ben Gamel, Carlos Mendoza, Cory Wade, D.J. Mitchell, Dellin Betances, Eduardo Nunez, Ichiro Suzuki, Joba Chamberlain, Jose Pirela, Mat Gamel, Matt Tracy, New York Yankees, Nik Turley, Saxon Butler, Yankees