The New York Yankees hold a commanding nine-game lead in the American League East. Let’s see how the minor league squads are faring in each of their leagues.
International League North (AAA) – Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees (54-45), 3rd Place, 1 GB
- The “Nomad” Yankees went 4-2 since the last report and picked up 1.5 games on first-place Lehigh Valley.
- Scored a season high 14 runs against Charlotte on Monday.
- Kosuke Fukudome joined the team after being signed to a minor league deal.
- Former major leaguer Jack Cust now has a team-leading 20 HR and 62 RBI.
Eastern League Eastern (AA) – Trenton Thunder, (58-39), T-1st place
- The Thunder continue to put distance (four games) between them and second place New Britain.
- They won six out of seven games, including six straight, since last week and lead the Eastern League by four games.
- Luke Murton has 20 HR and 54 RBI for the Thunder.
- Brett Marshall is 10-3 with a 3.00 ERA.
Florida State League (Advanced A) – Tampa Yankees (First Half: 30-36, 12 GB; Second Half: 17-10, 1st place)
- Tampa went 5-2 and holds a one-game lead over three teams.
- Won two 1-0 games on Monday night.
- Ramon Flores and Jose Ramirez were named FSL Player and Pitcher of the Week for w/e July 15, 2012.
- Flores had seven hits in 17 plate appearances, including five extra-base hits.
- Ramirez tossed six innings of scoreless no-hit ball while walking one and striking out seven. He combined with Branden Pinder for a no-hitter.
South Atlantic League Southern (A) – Charleston RiverDogs (First Half: 39-28, 3rd place 6.5 GB; Second Half: 15-12, T-1st place,)
- The RiverDogs are in a virtual tie for first-place even though they won only two out of six games since the last report.
- Brett Gerritse tossed six innings of scoreless ball allowing only three hits while striking out six to earn his third win against four losses.
New York/Penn League (Class A Short Season) – Staten Island Yankees (12-19, 4th place, 8 GB)
- 3-4 week lifts them out of the cellar but further back of cross-town rival Brooklyn in the standings.
- Lost tough 1-0 game last night to Brooklyn in the first game of a four-game set.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie) – Gulf Coast Yankees (19-9, 1st place)
- Their four wins and two losses pushed them into tie for first-place with the GCL Tigers.
- Joba Chamberlain is performing well in his rehab assignment, throwing four scoreless innings with six strikeouts.
- Catching prospect, Austin Romine is currently with GCL after getting back into action on July 13. Romine had been out with back issues since the beginning of the season.
- The Yankees first-round pick in the 2012 draft (30th overal), Ty Hensley, received a signing bonus of $1.2 million. He has reported to the GCL Yankees.
For a daily recap of the top performances around minor league baseball check out The Prospect Pulse on Seedlings to Stars.
Tags: Austin Romine Branden Pinder Brett Gerritse Brett Marshall Charleston RiverDogs DSL Yankees 1 DSL Yankees 2 Featured Gulf Coast League Yankees Jack Cust Joba Chamberlain Jose Ramirez Kosuke Fukudome Luke Murton New York Yankees Popular Ramon Flores Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Staten Island Yankees Tampa Yankees Trenton Thunder Ty Hensley Yankees