The New York Yankees hold a commanding nine-game lead in the American League East. Let’s see how the minor league squads are faring in each of their leagues.
International League North (AAA) – Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees (54-45), 3rd Place, 1 GB
- The “Nomad” Yankees went 4-2 since the last report and picked up 1.5 games on first-place Lehigh Valley.
- Scored a season high 14 runs against Charlotte on Monday.
- Kosuke Fukudome joined the team after being signed to a minor league deal.
- Former major leaguer Jack Cust now has a team-leading 20 HR and 62 RBI.
Eastern League Eastern (AA) – Trenton Thunder, (58-39), T-1st place
- The Thunder continue to put distance (four games) between them and second place New Britain.
- They won six out of seven games, including six straight, since last week and lead the Eastern League by four games.
- Luke Murton has 20 HR and 54 RBI for the Thunder.
- Brett Marshall is 10-3 with a 3.00 ERA.
Florida State League (Advanced A) – Tampa Yankees (First Half: 30-36, 12 GB; Second Half: 17-10, 1st place)
- Tampa went 5-2 and holds a one-game lead over three teams.
- Won two 1-0 games on Monday night.
- Ramon Flores and Jose Ramirez were named FSL Player and Pitcher of the Week for w/e July 15, 2012.
- Flores had seven hits in 17 plate appearances, including five extra-base hits.
- Ramirez tossed six innings of scoreless no-hit ball while walking one and striking out seven. He combined with Branden Pinder for a no-hitter.
South Atlantic League Southern (A) – Charleston RiverDogs (First Half: 39-28, 3rd place 6.5 GB; Second Half: 15-12, T-1st place,)
- The RiverDogs are in a virtual tie for first-place even though they won only two out of six games since the last report.
- Brett Gerritse tossed six innings of scoreless ball allowing only three hits while striking out six to earn his third win against four losses.
New York/Penn League (Class A Short Season) – Staten Island Yankees (12-19, 4th place, 8 GB)
- 3-4 week lifts them out of the cellar but further back of cross-town rival Brooklyn in the standings.
- Lost tough 1-0 game last night to Brooklyn in the first game of a four-game set.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie) – Gulf Coast Yankees (19-9, 1st place)
- Their four wins and two losses pushed them into tie for first-place with the GCL Tigers.
- Joba Chamberlain is performing well in his rehab assignment, throwing four scoreless innings with six strikeouts.
- Catching prospect, Austin Romine is currently with GCL after getting back into action on July 13. Romine had been out with back issues since the beginning of the season.
- The Yankees first-round pick in the 2012 draft (30th overal), Ty Hensley, received a signing bonus of $1.2 million. He has reported to the GCL Yankees.
For a daily recap of the top performances around minor league baseball check out The Prospect Pulse on Seedlings to Stars.
Topics: Austin Romine, Branden Pinder, Brett Gerritse, Brett Marshall, Charleston RiverDogs, DSL Yankees 1, DSL Yankees 2, Gulf Coast League Yankees, Jack Cust, Joba Chamberlain, Jose Ramirez, Kosuke Fukudome, Luke Murton, New York Yankees, Ramon Flores, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Staten Island Yankees, Tampa Yankees, Trenton Thunder, Ty Hensley, Yankees