The Staten Island Yankees and the Gulf Coast Yankees began their seasons this week as the New York Yankees now have eight affiliates in action. Let’s take a look at what’s happening around the Yankees minor league system.
International League North (AAA) – Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees (40-32), 3rd Place, 5 GB
- 3-3 since last week’s report.
- Ramon Ortiz had another strong effort on Sunday earning his sixth win; 7.2 IP, 2 ER, 4 H, 2 BB and 1 K.
- Adam Warren had a rough week, taking two losses and allowing seven earned runs in twelve innings.
Eastern League Eastern (AA) – Trenton Thunder, (40-28), 1st place
- 5-2 since last report and remain in sole possession of first-place.
- Zoilo Almonte was named the Eastern League player of the Week for 6/11-6/17/12. He was 10-for-22 with 1 home run, 2 doubles, 10 RBI, 5 runs and 4 stolen bases.
- Scored a season-high 19 runs and banged out their highest hit total, 22, in a 19-9 rout of Harrisburg in which they batted around twice.
Florida State League (Advanced A) – Tampa Yankees (First Half: 30-36, 12 GB; Second Half: 0-0)
- The second half of the season begins tomorrow in Lakeland.
- Luis Sojo is set to become the Florida State League’s career leader in wins as a manager. He currently has 409 wins and the record is 418.
South Atlantic League Southern (A) – Charleston RiverDogs (First Half: 39-28, 3rd place 6.5 GB; Second Half: 0-0)
- The RiverDogs finished the first-half on a down note with a 1-5 record for the week.
- They were 10-16 from May 22 on, falling from first place.
- Tyler Austin and Gary Sanchez picked up hits in the SAL All-Star game. Austin’s hit was a triple and he scored a run.
New York/Penn League (Class A Short Season) – Staten Island Yankees (0-2, 2 GB, last place)
- The S.I. Yankees are the defending league champions.
- The Yankees have scored only 1 run in their first two games, both losses to cross-borough rival Brooklyn Cyclones (New York Mets affiliate)
Gulf Coast League (Rookie) – Gulf Coast Yankees (1-1), T-2nd place
- David Aardsma made his GCL debut with one inning of scoreless ball striking out two batters along the way. Aardsma had Tommy John surgery last July.
- Second-round pick Austin Aune, who recently signed for $1 million, should be joining the club shortly.
Dominican Summer League BC South (Rookie) – DSL Yankees 1 (12-3), 1st place
- Went 5-1 since last week’s report.
- Jose Figueroa is hitting .523 (23-for-44) with a 1.557 OPS.
- Erick Canela has allowed only 1 earned run in three starts (15 IP).
Dominican Summer League BC North (Rookie) – DSL Yankees 2 (5-10), T-last place, 5 GB
- Played even ball (3-3) since last week’s report.
- Barfil Munoz has 5 HR and 17 RBI.
For a daily recap of the top performances around minor league baseball check out The Prospect Pulse on Seedlings to Stars.
Topics: Adam Warren, Barfil Munoz, Charleston RiverDogs, David Aardsma, DSL Yankees 1, DSL Yankees 2, Erick Canela, Gary Sanchez, GCL Yankees, Jose Figueroa, Luis Sojo, Ramon Ortiz, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Staten Island Yankees, Tampa Yankees, Trenton Thunder, Tyler Austin, Zoilo Almonte