Here is a brief rundown of what’s happening in the Yankees’ minor league system since last Wednesday.
International League North (AAA) – Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees (24-20), 4th Place, 3.5 GB
- The Triple-A Yankees have picked up three games in the standings since last week.
- Manny Banuelos was placed on the DL with a sore left elbow, it is his second DL stint this season.
- Eduardo Nunez was also placed on the DL with a sore right thumb. He was 3-for-13 since being demoted.
- Ramon Ortiz, who is trying to get back to the major leagues, won his second straight start. He is 2-3 with a 3.86 ERA.
- Second baseman Ronnier Mustelier is hitting .313 with 3 HR, 9 RBIs, 2 SB and a .870 OPS in 17 games since his call-up.
Eastern League Eastern (AA) – Trenton Thunder, (23-19), 3rd place, 3 GB
- Michael O’Brien won his first start since being promoted from Tampa with seven innings of one-run ball on 5/18/12.
- Videl Nuno also made his Double-A debut and pitched four scoreless innings before being removed as he reached his pitch count limit.
Florida State League (Advanced A) – Tampa Yankees (20-25), 4th place, 9 GB
- Tampa went 4-2 since last week’s update, including winners of three straight.
- OF Rob Segedin continues to lead the team in the power department with 15 doubles, 6 HR and 26 RBIs.
South Atlantic League Southern (A) – Charleston RiverDogs (30-14), 1st place
- The RiverDogs went 5-2 since last week’s post.
- Despite the incredible record the RiverDogs hold only a half-game lead over Asheville.
- Bryan Mitchell is 4-2 with a 2.53 ERA and a team leading 43 strikeouts.
In the coming weeks we’ll look at some of the Yankees’ top prospects in depth and we’ll supply coverage of the first-year player draft set for June 4-6, 2012. In the meantime, check out Seedlings to Stars coverage of Yankees’ prospects here.