Yesterday was a slow news day, but really, we should be used to that by this point in the offseason.
- The Yankees are talking to Edwin Jackson! Surely that has some implications for the 2012 rotation, right?
- Possibly, given that Jackson’s (and every other unsigned player’s) price is falling with just 5 weeks until pitchers and catchers report.
- And in addition to that, Scott Boras is meeting directly with Hal Steinbrenner to discuss a deal.
- But wait – maybe that Boras/Steinbrenner meeting didn’t really mean too much, as ESPN NY is reporting that the whole thing was a “just a courtesy.”
- Possibly because Hal isn’t looking to expand payroll and is only willing to sign pitchers to one year deals. Which is unfortunate since Jackson is looking for something along the lines of a 5-year deal.
So… it looks like the Jackson rumors are more of the same and the Yankees are still treading water with regards to upgrading the rotation.