Normally we do a spectrum of the goings-ons in Yankees Universe for our daily links post, but there have been so many great articles written in response to Jorge Posada‘s retirement that much of today’s post is dedicated to Jorge:
- Mark Feinsand argues that #20 deserves a spot in Monument Park.
- Yogi Berra has some nice words to say about Posada as a player and as a person.
- Jack Curry shares his memories of Jorge.
- Tyler Kepner of the NY Times looks at where Jorge ranks among all-time Yankees catchers.
The other big news yesterday was the Hall of Fame announcement. Congratulations to Barry Larkin on his election!
- Bernie Williams got a total of 55 votes out of the 573 ballots submitted (9.6%). He has a LONG way to go if he is ever going to be elected, but the fact that he exceed the 5% mark means that he will remain on the ballot for at least one more year.
- As for Don Mattingly, this was his 12th year on the ballot, and he received a total of 17.8% of the votes. With only 3 years left of eligibility, it looks as though Mattingly will not be inducted into Cooperstown.