After over an hour-long rain delay MLB made the decision to suspend Game 1 of the Yankees/Tigers series until tomorrow. The Yankees have been no strangers to rain this season – they have now had 10 games rained out and another 13 games delayed. Obviously, this puts both teams in a tough position. With CC and Verlander on the mound it looked as if Game 1 would be a magnificent pitching duel. Instead, both aces were wasted tonight and it’s nearly impossible that either team will be able to use their ace in more than one game in this short series.
So where does this leave us? There are a ton of questions left unanswered, but here is what we know so far:
- Game 1 will resume tomorrow at 8:37 pm EST and will pick up right where it left off: tied 1-1 in the bottom of the 2nd inning.
- Game 2 will be played on Sunday at 3:07 pm EST. Sunday was supposed to be an off-day, but the only off-day in this series will now be Wednesday, October 5.
- Girardi said in a post-game press conference that he would not start CC on Sunday. Instead he will “discuss” starting CC on Monday.
- CC, of course, has other plans. He hinted that he will make his case to pitch on Sunday so that he can have a chance to get 2 starts in this series.
- Ivan Nova will start Saturday, as he was scheduled to do.
- Girardi did not say whether the Yankees will alter their 3-man rotation, but he did hint that AJ Burnett would likely be the 4th starter if the Yankees ended up going with a 4-man rotation.
- On the Tigers end it looks as though they will start Fister on Saturday, Scherzer on Sunday, Verlander on Monday, and Porcello on Tuesday. If a 5th game is necessary Fister would likely start that game.
So there you have it, fans. We don’t really have any sure answers tonight, but we will be following developments closely as decisions are made. Also, if you have any questions about the series, be sure to send them to Ricky (@arth65456) and he will address them on his podcast preview!