The Yanks lost a tough one tonight to the Pale Hose, 2-0.
Philip Humber took a no-hitter into the seventh inning, but it was broken up by A-Rod. The kid, making his sixth start, was wheeling and/or dealing. Not much you can do about that.
The Yanks offense was anemic, but AJ Burnett was lights out. He threw eight innings of three-hit, one-run ball with two strikeouts and two walks…but took the loss, his first in April as a Yankee (8-0, 4.00 ERA in 14 April starts as a Yankee coming in).
AJ taking the loss was absolutely criminal; yet ANOTHER reason why pitcher wins are one of the dumbest stats around.
Soriano came in for the ninth and gave up a pair of hits and a run. He was booed throughout the appearance. So also had a very interesting play on a pop-up by Alexei Ramirez; he pointed up to locate the ball but didn’t try to catch it, Jeet then came running in at the last second but couldn’t get to it. Very weird play.
- The last time AJ went eight innings was May 30 against the Indians, that game upped his record to 6-2, however, he followed that up by going 0-for-June and 4-13 the rest of the way.
- A-Rod passed Gary Sheffield for 62nd on the all-time hits list with his 2,690th hit.
- Last six starters facing the Yanks for the first time: 5-1, 1.35 ERA, .120 BAA.
- In 2010, Swish Dog hit .385 (10-for-26) against the ChiSox with four homers and nine RBI. He went 0-for-2 with a HBP tonight.
- Grandy extended his hitting streak to nine games.
- Making up for his pathetic offense, Gardner made a nice catch.
- Pedro Feliciano (shoulder) thinks he might be able to pitch again by late June/early July.
- Phil Hughes had a bullpen session today and it couldn’t have gone worse. Hughes shut the session down after about 10 pitches and is going to go for an MRI tomorrow.
Girardi in the postgame on Phil:
He’s gunna go for some tests tomorrow. The doctor sent him for an MRI…It’s just to see what’s going on.
Fuck. That doesn’t sound good.
The Yanks will get back at it tomorrow with SuperNova going against Gavin Floyd.
LET’S GO YANKS!!!!