Some Spring Training notes from today:
- Freddy Garcia says he can live at 88-89 mph but there are days when the heat is 83-84 mph. He also came through with some stellar quotes:
In the past, I don’t really concentrate in Spring Training games, but this year I have to be different.
So not only does Garcia, who doesn’t have the best Spring Training record, suck at conjugating verbs, he also can’t throw a fastball and has a foul mouth.
- There’s good news and bad news regarding Fat Bastard Bartolo Colon. Bad news: he weighs 267 pounds. Good news: he was hitting 94 mph in Winter Ball.
The problem’s not the weight, it’s the arm…I feel really good right now the way I am. But I feel like I need to go down with my weight a little bit more.
Colon, the 2005 Cy Young Award winner, says the heaviest he’s pitched at is 278 pounds and that he’s weighed at least 250 every year since 2002. His goal is to lose 25 pounds by the end of Spring Training. My goal is to be a millionaire and smashing a Playboy model by the time the season starts. Let’s see whose goal gets reached first.
- So (Rafael Soriano) will not throw off a mound until next week while Mo will wait “maybe a little longer” to hit the bump. So also jacked number 29 while Frankie was forced to switch to 17. Pedro Feliciano got stuck with Javy’s old number — 31. I hope he wears it better than Home Run Javy did…he couldn’t do much worse.
- The Yanks have a “strong” interest in 36-year-old Kevin Millwood as a starter.
- Random note: Gary Sheffield, who was always a favorite of mine, called it quits and retired from baseball.
Position players are expected to report for physicals tomorrow with the first full-squad workout scheduled for Monday. The Spring Training opener is set for next Saturday, Feb. 26, against the Phightin’ Phils.
LET’S GO YANKS!!!!
Tags: Spring Training