Girardi on CC:
I didn’t think CC was bad. We gave them the third run and the fourth run…it’s odd he walked that many guys.
Girardi on Grandy:
Grandy’s been a different guy since he made that adjustment in August…I think it’s real impressive that he can make that kind of adjustment. I thought he was starting to get on a roll before he got hurt, but I’ve been impressed by Grandy and his determination.
Girardi on using Mo for four outs:
I thought it was time to go to Mo. You get in a situation and you make a decision; I thought that was a good time to go to Mo.
- It was Tex’ third career postseason homer (all with the Yanks) and second against the Twins, he also hit the walk-off against Mijares in Game 2 of last year’s ALDS.
- A-Rod, who went 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored, opened last year’s playoffs with a fly out to right, a strikeout and then dominated the postseason. This year he flied to right and then struckout to begin the game…
- It was Mo’s 31st postseason save of four outs or more. To put that in perspective, since Mo became the closer in 1997 there have been 36 non-Mo saves of four outs or more in the postseason in all of MLB.
- The Twins scored first in each game of last year’s ALDS.
- The Twins have not won a postseason game since Game 1 of the 2004 ALDS against the Yankees.
- The Yanks have won seven straight postseason games against the Twins, while the Twins have lost 10 straight playoff games overall.
- The Yanks had lost nine straight games against left-handed pitchers prior to Wednesday night.
- Minnesota went 0-for-7 with RISP and stranded 10 men on base.
- Every Yankee starter reached base at least once.
- This one is kind of disturbing. Yanks as Wild Card: 1995 – won game 1 but lost series; 1997 – won game 1 but lost series; 2007 – lost game 1 and series. In other words: this series ain’t over yet.
The Yanks will send Andrew Eugene Pettitte to the mound on Thursday in Game 2. He will be opposed by our old friend Carl Pavano. Pavano didn’t face the Yanks this season but Pettitte was 2-0 with a 1.26 ERA against Minnesota in 2010. This will be a rematch of Game 3 of the 2009 ALDS.