On Ron Guidry’s 60th birthday, the Yanks won a 12-9 slugfest in Chicago but suffered a loss. Mark Teixeira left the game with a bruised right thumb. He hurt it diving yesterday but decided to try to play today.
Girardi said Marky Mark is day-to-day and Swish Dog will play first tomorrow if Tex can’t go. The last thing this team needs is another injury. Michael Kay, who has been doing a bang-up job of annoying the hell out of me the past few games, said x-rays were not necessary.
Shit I liked:
- CC won his major league-leading 18th game on the year, but did give up five runs on nine hits in seven innings. He was 8-1 with a 3.10 ERA and .218 BAA in 14 starts at US Cellular Field coming in.
- CC recorded zero strikeouts over the first seven outs but rebounded to fan nine over the next 11 outs. In doing so he passed Joe Niekro for 93rd on the all-time list with his 1,750th punch out.
- Swish Dog went 2-for-5 with a homer, drove in three runs and scored twice. He is now 9-for-18 with four homers and nine RBI in his last four games against the ChiSox.
- Jeet passed Rafael Palmeiro for 30th on MLB’s all-time runs list with his 1,664th run. Next up on the list is Dave Winfield with 1,669.
- Eduardo Nunez, playing in his ninth career game, went 3-for-4 and hit his first ML homer, drove in four and scored twice.
- Marcus Thames hit a pair of homers, one off a righty and one off a lefty.
- The eight runs allowed by John Danks tied a season high. He also allowed eight on May 29 against the Rays.
- The Yanks are 28-18 against left-handed starters this year, and 16-6 over their last 22 against LHP.
- Prior to August 14, the Yanks hadn’t hit more than three homers in a game this season. They have now hit four or more in three of their last 14.
Shit I did not care for:
- Eduardo Nunez now has more home runs on the year as Francisco Cervelli. Eddie, he of 24 career at-bats, has the same number of career homers as Frankie. Yikes.
- Joba had allowed one earned run over his last 13 appearances, he gave up two runs on as many hits while recording just one out in the eighth. I guess he was due for a shitty performance and I’m glad it came in a game when the Yanks had a six-run lead, but damn.
- D-Rob gave up two runs on three hits while failing to record an out in the ninth. He missed pitching for the cycle by a double. His last two appearances have sucked but he had a heck of a scoreless streak going before that, so I’ll let it slide. Again, six-run lead.
- During a game in which the Yanks held a six-run lead, the Yanks had to use Mariano Rivera. I guess it’s kind of good because he hadn’t pitched since August 21, but that should never happen.
- The Red Cox choked on a fat cock and lost to the Rays in extra innings, so the Yanks are still tied atop the AL East.
The Yanks will send Ivan (Super) Nova out tomorrow against Gavin Floyd in the rubber match of this series. Hopefully they can gain some separation with Tampon Bay, which has Panty Shields going against Lackey.
LET’S GO YANKS!!!!!