Wow. There’s no shame in getting shut down by Cliff Lee and King Felix on back to back nights, but giving up 14 runs to the anemic Mariner offense in those two games is a joke. The less said about Wednesday’s 7-0 ass whooping the better.
Instead of pining over that shit show, let me regale you with some (not so) amusing stats:
- Prior to Wednesday, Felix Hernandez hadn’t gotten a win against an AL team on the road all season. I guess that’s more on their offense than his pitching, but still.
- The King, who threw his third straight complete game, retired 24 of 26 batters at one point and became the first pitcher to two-hit the Yanks since Doc Halladay did it on 9/4/2009.
- Frankie Cervelli has reached base ONE TIME in his last 17 plate appearances.
- The Yanks have scored a total of 26 runs in Javy’s last eight starts. I guess they’re still pissed about 2004…
- Javy threw a season-high 113 pitches.
- The Mariners hit a season-high four homers on Wednesday, including a career-high two from that butt licker Michael Saunders, who was hitting .206/.264/.402 heading into the game.
- The last teammates to throw back-to-back complete games against the Yanks was way back on April 21-22, 2000. (Chris Carpenter and Kelvim Escobar)
- Only six major leaguers have started every game this season, three of them were playing at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday — Cano, Tex and Ichiro.
Some post game quotes:
It’s no fun to get beat 7-0…Tomorrow’s a new day, this is what you go through during the course of the season. You gotta pick yourself and go at it tomorrow.
Those two guys have done a great job against us, especially here at home. Hats off to that, you really gotta give credit where credit is due. Tomorrow’s a new day, we need to take out some aggression tomorrow. We’ll go home and get some sleep and get ready to get back after it.
Dude’s got good stuff. He was getting that low strike today, that makes for a long day.
First of all they’re (Lee and Felix) good, that’s the bottom line. Those two guys out there are a one-two punch that’s really good.
The only plus is that the Rays beat the Red Cox so the Yanks remain alone atop the AL East, though they’re clinging to a one-game lead.
Oh well, you can’t win ‘em all. The Yanks better come back strong on Thursday afternoon; it’s a safe bet they’ll win because I’m going to the game and I’m 2-0 this year. The Yanks got Big Stoppa (CC) going against Ryan Rowland-Smith.
LET’S GO YANKS!!!!!!!!!!!