AJ Burnett started off slow but settled down and had a solid day during the Yanks’ 9-7 loss to the Fightin’ Phils today. Royce Ring retired the lone batter he faced (Rauuuuul) and Phil Hughes’ numbers were deceiving as he pitched well but served up a couple of meatballs; read and hear what Phil himself had to say about his performance. Tex went 4-for-4 with a two-run jack and, if not for the wind, would have had another bomb. All in all it was a good day for the Yanks, despite the L. But, hey, at least it didn’t come on November 4, 2009!
- Prior to the game, due to the rainout yesterday, the Yanks held an intrasquad tilt in an effort to get some pitchers their work. The results weren’t pretty, but who cares it’s still Spring Training.
- The Yanks sent four more players (including the drunken brawler Brandon Laird) down to the minors today. The club also lost another player, as Rule 5 Draft pick Jamie Hoffman was returned to the Dodgers. However, it might just be a ruse to get him back via trade and stash him in AAA.
- If you were wondering if the Yanks were thinking of picking up the recently released Elijah Dukes, wonder no more, they have no plans to. According to Jack Curry, Dukes isn’t worth the headaches. And the last thing you need is headaches.
- Benjamin Kabak of RAB takes a look at who should be Andy Pettitte’s successor.
- NYY might not be getting Dukes, but it seems the club is high on Carl Crawford and Jayson Werth, who are both free agents after 2010. If they do sign Werth, he’ll have to shave that beard of his.
- Excuse me while I whore myself out, but take a look at this Yankees iPhone app: http://itunes.apple.c om/us/app/lmk-new-york-yankees/id357596189?mt=8.It’s from LMK and is only $1.99. If I wasn’t a poor bastard with an archaic phone I’d already have it, believe me. Don’t believe me? Too bad. Here are some quotes about the app and LMK from company president Michael Gutkowski:
There will be statistics, standings and other data that will be updated in real time.
We’re launching applications for every passion…even bacon.
Who doesn’t love bacon?
LMK stands for Let Me Know, and the company was founded in the Fall of last year.
Good deal? Good deal.