Top 5 Things That Happened Over the Past 10 Days
1. Mariano recorded save #500 and is up to 503 now. How good is Mo? He may not be the lockdown turn-off-the-tv closer he was in his prime, but he’s still as good as it gets.
2. The Yankees traded for Eric Hinske. For those of you who are unaware of Hinske, he has a good glove and can play multiple positions, and while he won’t wow you at the plate, he does have some pop in the bat. In today’s game he made a nice diving play in the first inning out in left, and hit a home run off the foul pole in right. As bad as the Yankee’s corner outfield is defensively, it’s nice to see a guy who can field his position out there. Hinske’s a nice lefty bat off the bench for the Yankees and a solid defensive replacement for Damon, Swisher, or A-Rod/Teixeira when they need the day off.
3. Did you watch the Wimbledon final between Roddick and Federer? They played 30 games in the final set! The epic match got me thinking…about Roddick’s wife, Brooklyn Decker. It got me thinking…do tennis players get the hottest women? I say yes.
Other sports have their playboys, like Jeter in baseball, Wilt/Magic in basketball, and Travis Henry in football (11 kids by 10 women). However, we have to disqualify these other sports for a couple of reasons:
A. A lot of football and basketball players come from poor neighborhoods where knocking up high school chicks and marrying young is the norm. Kobe got married when he was 22. LeBron has two kids with his high school sweetheart. Tennis players usually come from a more privileged background and don’t have the wife/kid baggage that a lot of NFL/NBAers have.
B. We can disqualify baseball players because they spend the first two years of their career in the minors busing from hellhole to hellhole trying to break the 36 year old 2nd baseman’s record for most chicks banged. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that four out of the six chicks Kevin Youkilis nailed on a six game road trip through Iowa in 2002 were fives at best.
It’s all about quantity for baseball players, especially in the minors, because no one knows who you are if you play for the AA Isotopes. On the other hand, if you’re a top 10 tennis player, everyone knows who you are and you can be selective.
C. Tennis players might be the most in-shape athletes this side of soccer players, at least through the eyes of women, so they CAN be selective. To a lot of chicks a 360 pound lineman with an Austin Powers-like mane on his back isn’t attractive (go figure). A lot of broads also consider football players too muscular (Drew?) But tennis/soccer players? Find me a woman who doesn’t think Beckham or Roddick have nice bodies.
4. The Yankees are on fire! New York has won 10 out of their last 11, although five of those W’s came against the NL East and the other five against the Mariners and Blue Jays. As I write this the Bombers are going for the four game sweep of Toronto before embarking on a lengthy road trip out West.
5. Why are the Yankees hotter than Hansel right now? They’ve scored 73 runs in the last 11 games (6.6 runs/game), due largely to Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez. DJ has an 11 game hit streak and A-Rod is batting .406 over his last 10 games, with five dingers and 15 RBI.
More to come! I’ve got a lot of catching up to do, so I’ll be posting a ton of stuff this week. Check back often!
Follow me on Twitter and learn what’s on my mind grapes.